Sunday, June 30, 2019

Posies to Ponies

The early morning sunlight filters through the trees, the dew sparkles on the newly mowed lawn, and robins announce the new day. 

The heat is on. 

With June now spent, the plains of Northern Colorado are heating with the occasional thunder storm to wash away the dust and cool things down. Today we will hit 90 by 3 PM followed by a thunderstorm, according to iPhone weather app, but one never knows as the weather patterns change. The gardening plan then is to get out early to get the chores done and find some pesky weeds to decimate before they ruin the flower beds.  I've been down for a week with gout in my right knee. Still able to walk, the worst part was bending the knee, making sitting and getting up painful and nearly impossible, so I've lost an entire week, and there is much to do.

June's rains helped the summer bloomers to thrive. When it is so bloody hot, we can't keep up with the watering, so the rain gives everything a good start.  From bright orange of the Red Hot Poker, or Kniphofia to the Rozanne geranium to the Coral Bells, the back garden looks lush and colorful.


As the last of the peonies fade, I have a lot of fun photographing the after the early morning irrigation drips from their leaves. I've been trying to get the perfect water drop photo.





I do wish my June lovelies would last longer--all summer.  





 


Roses seem to tolerate the heat better than other plants, but even they are struggling with the 90 degree. New face appear: First Prize, which is always a heart throb with her giant bloom, Gertrude Jekyll has finally decided to come to the party, now with a profusion of blooms. I think the extremely cold spring stunted her growth because for a while it looked like we might lose her. I thing the has spent most of her spring trying to recover from the cold, building up the energy to bloom.  The third little rose blooms her sweet heart out. She was a Mother's Day gift one of the first years we were here at the Garden Spot. I don't even know her name, but she is a beauty, blooming abundantly.

This rose, also in the front courtyard was here when we moved and when we redesigned the front entry, it was the only thing to remain. Peachy in color, with a bit of florescent look, she blooms all summer long.


The roses are about to finish their first flush. I'll cut them back, feed the, and they will bloom again.


The Patio Posies

Pansies are cool weather favorites, cool weather being the key word. With a cool, wet June the pansies still thrive. Sorry for the poor quality photo, but you get the idea. It is really meant to show how we get double duty out of the patio drip system by placing potted plants underneath the hanging baskets to catch the drips.


From pansies to pink hydrangea, another garden favorite and a bit tricky to keep here in the dry, hot climate, but I keep trying. I absolutely swore never to buy another one last summer, but as I wandered to a local garden center, I could not resist these pink ones. Winter hearty--supposedly--, were only $12, so I bought two. I get giddy when I look at their big mob head flowers, edged with lime green in the early stages of the bloom and the luscious, sweet pink.





As if pink hydrangea are not enough, what about the pink fuchsia? The Head Gardener picked this one out. I spent a lot of money on hanging baskets for the patio this year because the patio has to look pretty for the next three gatherings here. I have some very exciting news for the next party that we will hold here, but I can't anything until the hostess announces it.


Our gathering with our teacher friends last Sunday was so special. The food was delicious, but the spirit of the moment was the best. We had never gathered as group socially before--some to the women get together occasionally for lunch, but the entire Lecturer faculty with spouses came, some of whom I had never met. 

I will not take credit for much because the other Hostesses brought food.




Brenda, our retired office secretary ordered this delicious poppy seed cake with raspberry filling. Delicious.

I had planned on holding it outdoors, but it rained. Even with the tents up, the grass would have been too wet, so I moved the furniture around and we had plenty of room.

We wanted to give them little gifts, so Brenda provided these potted herbs. They were perfect.



Party 1: Perfect


 Some Pretty Garden Flowers







Other Stuff

Brody has grown up. Now at a year, he weighs 92 pounds, a bit large for a short hair, but he carries it well.


Ponies, too.

The granddaughters tested Saturday for their 4-H horsemanship in English, wanting to move to Level 1 which is walk, trot. They are new to English riding, learning all of their riding skills in a western saddle. Isn't Hank handsome? He just gets better. I should write more about his journey. As a Boy Scout camp trail horse, this is all new to him, so sometimes he tends to be distracted as he takes in all of the newness. He's been in the arena twice before now, so he was settled and calm.



Mariah, the Mustang, an 18 year old lady, she is doing so well with her training and is learning new things too as Lucy pushes her forward. 


Leaving the arena with smiles on their faces after being told that they had passed. Their skills are growing and so are the ponies'



Pelicans Soar

As I left the fair grounds, I heard roar of jet planes overhead. Nothing unusual, except they were flying rather low in perfect formation--until I too a second look!








Have a wonderful week. 


Thanks so much for visiting.




















4 comments:

  1. Ann - such a full post - wherever shall I comment? Your posies (all of them ) are a delight to the eye. We are always a bit sad when something stops blooming, but in most gardens, something else is coming to fruition. How clever to put pots under hanging baskets to catch the drips. We have yet to experience much heat this summer, and so some plants are coming on slowly. It will happen. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday and Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to see the pelicans and I love seeing the horses. You have so many pretty flowers in bloom. They look especially pretty with the water droplets on them. Love the pretty potted plants too. You're having a busy summer! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you get the right remedy for your poor knee, Ann *crossing fingers*. That is so painful! But nice to see all your garden photos and how your season unfolds. And the girls with their horses! And how tall the doggy has become! Never I would have been able to identify pelicans - did not even know you had them in your part of the world. Happy 4th and looking forward to all your party preparations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dandy post. I too wish the June Beauties will stick around longer. While you have had a lot of June rain we have not. 1/2 inch rain total for June---Phooey. We are actually in a drought in good old wet Washington.
    Great to see the girls and their horses. My girls learned riding bareback and then wester. One daughter went on to show English but the others just gamed.
    Pelicans--haha
    MB

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...