Thursday, September 5, 2024

Anchor

 Even the backyard garden has moments that can serve as a metaphor for life. While aracinids  are not always the most popular creature to study, I am fascinated by them. I have had some really miserable spider bites. The last one itched so badly and had such a large red ring around it I had to go Urgent Care where the Dr. prescribed a topical itch medication, an oral steroid (which I didn't take) and an antibiotic, which I didn't take either. It was not a brown recluse, which I'm not sure is here in northern Colorado--I hope not. Outside spiders are allowed to live; inside, not so much. 

As hot as it has been, I've been sitting the back patio enjoying the cool evening breeze, often after dark. This evening a spider building its web caught my interest and I began taking photos using my iPhone, so they are not the best quality, but you will get the point.

When I first saw the web, the spider had barely started, so this actually one of the last photos I took of the completed web which was probably a foot in circumference.



The spider worked it's way up and down and around  connecting each strand on the down trip then scurrying up to the make the next row.



I didn't watch the entire process; however, before I went to bed I made on last check, and the spider had finished the web and was resting in the center. 


The silvery strands caught the light from the corner of the porch, making the web a starry work of art. 


Rest easy Spider.

However, I knew that in the morning I would have to seep way the web since it was anchored to the humming bird feeder and didn't want the little birds to have to deal with the web. 

Mother Nature has her way of fixing life's little problems sometimes, for when I went out in the morning the web and spider were gone. I suspect that the night breezes moved the feeder so much that web collapsed. I felt better about that. 

We know the lesson: chose you anchors carefully, sort of like the Biblical house built on sand. 


I had fun with this week garden harvest. Great Anaheims that I freeze whole then cut up frozen when I need a bit a spice for recipes. Great green peppers this year, too. Only one producing plant.  The tomatoes are fantastic, Not a blemish on these Bush Steak as apposed to beef steak. Nice, hardy hamburger quality topper. The yellow peppers are not banana peppers as we thought, but when the Head Gardener looked out the seed pack, he had purchased red HOT Anaheims. These are generously handed out to whomever loves HOT.

I am picking some of the tomatoes that are on the ground early and letting them ripen in the on the counter 



Had some fun with camera. Loaded up the deco truck with lots of veggies for Miss H  to the local farmer's market.  You'd buy from her, wouldn't you?



The HG took us for a drive out to the Back 40, the narrow strip between the hay field and the back easement. We have one tree that has sent up a forest of suckers and now the HG has the arduous task of clipping down the suckers. Guess what! We found the Momma tree. 


 




And I baked for the grandson. Love these muffins--Pancake Muffins, I call them. I use Kodak Pancake mix and accidentally bought chocolate pancake mix that has a recipe for muffins. Try them. Delicious. Protein packed. 


So glad you stopped by. 

See you next time

Ann


2 comments:

  1. Spiders, although I cant like them, are such amazing insects. What patience to spin a web so complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither, but at a distance I can tolerate them.

    ReplyDelete

Anchor

 Even the backyard garden has moments that can serve as a metaphor for life. While aracinids  are not always the most popular creature to st...