Monday, June 26, 2017

Various and Sundry of Things

An interesting week here at the Garden Spot. Last Monday late in the day the Head Gardener came home from a meeting announcing that the demolition of the elementary school down the street was under way and that his fifth grade classroom was gone. The next morning I walked the down the block to a watch piece of history go down chuck by mouthful of brick and mortar, metal and concrete.


My children attended the school that served as a elementary school then a middle school, then rooms rented were out to various and sundry business: a municipality, a quilter's workroom, and an exercise group. The Powers That Be at the District office decided that old building had to go to make room for--for? We're heard for bus parking or a practice field. No one really seems to know. I posted a few photos on Face Book and I am sure that I am not the only one to spread the word; however, the District office was inundated with phones calls, some pretty emotional about the loss, some wanting bricks. I asked the nice young man who was spraying water to keep the dust down kindly gave me two bricks for my daughters. They were delighted. 


I spent a few hours in this building, too, as a parent and as substitute teacher. I go remembering the wonderful teachers who taught my children, even my husband such as Mr. and Mrs. Zack who lived just down the street in a grand old Victorian. Mr. Zack now gone was the principal and his wife was the music teacher. The Kopenhafers now retired and living in another town not far away. The math teacher who everyone loved. 



Another big bite.




Rubble


Those three old elms to the left will be gone by day's end.




And this was the memorial to the school nurse, Myrna Fagerberg, possibly the most distressing of the entire project. No one knows where the bench and plaque went to or where they will end up. The HG an I serve on the city museum committee so perhaps the much loved nurse's memorial will go there.

More Things of Interest


I have done well at staying away from the thrift stores, but sometime I just need a fix, so on my last trip I found these vintage demitasse cups. The taller one was made in Germany. I love little cups and saucers, so I could not resist these two.





Most mornings my I eat yogurt with a banana. I had to snap this of the sad banana. Totally accidental. Photo worthy, blog suitable, Face Book appropriate wouldn't you say? 

In the Garden

 

I found this cute little guy at Hobby Lobby on clearance. He has to be in a cage because he is incline to fall over. As a young child my imagination was captured everything we drove past a certain house that had a wooden giraffe head peering over the tall row of ornamental bushes. Now I have my own cursoity in the garden.



Knophia or Red Hot Poker is a favorite here. I just wish that they lasted longer. When they were first planted, they had full sun. Now they are in deep shade and probably should be moved. I transplanted them from the old house, so I am lucky that they are still alive.




You know how I am about pink, but I enjoy this bright orange geum.


The landscape at the Garden Spot is evolving. Both of these gardens when we moved here were in full sun, now they are cool shade. I am especially proud of the hostas. I would like to add more.


We are never lacking holly hocks since they plant themselves. This one grows all on its own at the corner of the barn, the late afternoon filtering through.


The waterlilies, too, are in full bloom, looking pretty along with the water hyacinth that is blooming and the water lettuce that is spreading.


Happy Birthday, Lily Ann


She is now five, ready for kindergarten, has started to learn how to read. Her mama made this Dollar Store rag mop stick horse.


This week I am preparing for our rare get away to visit friends in Texas. We have to make sure to have someone come in to look after all of the critters and plants. It's a big job. 

I was warmed by your encouragement about keeping the blog. Thank you for standing by me. I don't intend to fade away; I will keep on blogging, but I am considering Instagram, too.

Wishing you a great week. Thanks for stopping by. Linking with Maggie at Normandy Life. See you there.



7 comments:

  1. Ann - I am sad about the school - especially the elms coming down - just pains my heart so deeply. Then the waterlilies and the birthday display for Lily cheered me up. Such a creative cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ann!

    I am feeling sad myself over the demolition of the school. It's devastating to see the 'remains' and I can only imagine how you must feel. Your pictures upset me.

    I know how it is to comeacrsoss a treasure when I'm purging. The upside is we are now more picky and conservative. These are lovely cups...good for you in giving them a new home.

    Love the pics f your garden. I grew hollyhocks one year and they didn't come back. I will try again and foxglove, too.

    Your Lily Ann is such a cutie...love her perky little
    face and sun bleached hair. The pony is such a clever idea...they deserve a patent and to be marketed!

    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to see the old school torn down and the trees had to go too, I hope that the Nurse's bench has found a suitable new home and didn't get lost during the demolition.
    Your garden is looking so good, you must be very proud of all the new areas that you have planted and tended so carefully coming into their potential, love the hollyhocks. I have volunteer poppies in the garden this year courtesy of the bird seed that I was so generous with during the winter months no doubt.
    Lily Ann looks thrilled with the hobby horse that her mummy made, what a sweetie she is.
    Hope your trip to Texas goes well, will look forward to hearing all about I on your return.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, it is sad to see the old school torn down. I am so happy you were able to get a few bricks to keep. I wish they could leave the trees. I love the red hot poker plants, very pretty. I tried to grow some to attract the hummers but they did not do well here. Happy Birthday to Lily, she is a sweetie. I had a giggle over the sad banana. Have a great trip! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed very sad to see the old school torn down. Fortunately you have many documenting photos. Guess what happened to my first school, a beautiful old wooden building? It burned down last year, probably because of some stupid games of local youngsters.
    Exquisite teacups and a lovely young lady with her horse. Stick horses are very popular in Finland right now.
    Instagram? Against all my decisions, I followed Judith there... and now I will be there waiting for you! :)
    Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann, It's sad to see big pieces of our past disappear or be torn down, isn't it? I think it's great that you were able to obtain two of the bricks for your daughters. Like you, I have certain teachers from my school years that I will always remember with fondness. I'll always remember my piano teacher, too, who lived to be 100 before she passed away several years ago.

    Your garden is full of interesting plants and flowers (love those hollyhocks). Your pond is lovely, too. I bet your granddaughter is looking forward to going to kindergarten; she sure is a cutie! It sounds like you're having a very nice summer. Once again, the heat has cranked up here, so the next six or eight weeks will probably be tough.

    Have a good week, Ann!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised you are considering giving up blogging, as many have done, because you've been so faithful to it. I decided that I will continue since it is my garden journal. I like being able to look back to see what was blooming when.

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...