Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Good Housekeeping or How to Get Out of a Mess

When you see the Big, Mean Green Machine on my page, you know that the Head Gardener has taken off his gardening cap and put on his farming hat. He has answered his call to duty to help the Big Farmers out in northeastern Colorado get their farm ground ready to plant corn and millet--I suppose. Acres and acres. Thousands. Here's a text that Farmer Dave and I shared Sunday:

Me: Gerald is doing online training for his job this week, learning how to strip till by watching You Tube. He should be prepared to do a good job. If he doesn't, fire him.

Dave: Maybe I should study too. He'll know more than I do. Pretty Simple. Turn at the ends and watch the computer drive rest of the time. (and text).

Me: He's over qualified then.

And so the texting went.






The HG has done other farm work for the farm, but not strip tilling; looks pretty simple and boring. 


Lily came last week with her mother for Sundance's vet check. His pelvis break has healed, so now he needs more quiet time to for it to strengthen and then she can start walking him. Lily rode Pop. He is a very good boy for her. Can you believe that this boy is 30 and does not suffer from the health issues that the bigger horses have. He is amazing. Blind in one eye, but he enjoys his time with Lily. She is one happy five year old.




Spring flowers do mean need April showers which have been sparse here lately. These tulips filled up with water from the sprinkler system in the front courtyard.


The fruit trees are beginning to blossom. This one is an apple tree. It bears mushy, yellow apples that my dad called 'summer apples' or maybe they are cooking apples. They are good to eat, but usually fall to the ground before I pick them and the birds peck them and the horses gobble them up. They bruise and turn to mush easily, but, boy, is tree pretty in the spring.









And now for your housekeeping Tip:

When I took the clothes out of the dryer, I found this mess:GUM. Totally my fault. I had no idea as to how to clean it, so, of course, I googled it. There were several remedies, but I chose to use cooking spray, which loosened the gum. Then I used a one of those plastic scrapers used to dislodge stuck on food from a pan or dish. Some of the gum came off, especially the big wad. Next the instructions said to run old, damp towels in on medium heat in the dryer to collect the residue. Instead I washed my bathroom rugs that are nice and shaggy and old. And WhaLa. The drier came clean.


And that is the week that was and is at the Garden Spot. So glad that you stopped by. 

Let's see what is going on over at Maggie's. 

Join me at Mosaic Monday. 






5 comments:

  1. Have a nice week. Thanks for sharing a mosaic and other great photos

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  2. All what one can learn :-O, great job, Ann! So nice to see the wee horse and the wee child :-). We have been to the Vosges in France to have the naming ceremony for the granddaughter, beautiful days in a beautiful region and all flowers out and some bees but sadly, now swallows - the same sadness than here. We have now a full agenda until June 21st, so packing, packing, packing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing quite so lovely as Apple blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann, here it is Thursday afternoon and I'm just finishing visiting my MM friends. I have no excuses for being so tardy this week, just been dawdling the week away I guess!
    Happy to hear that Sundance's has healed well, what a sweet old thing he is, your Lily looks so happy riding Pop.
    What a shame that the pretty apple blossom develops into mushy apples!
    Best wishes from Normandy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up, we had apple trees in our back yard. I was small enough then that Dad let me climb up in the lower branches - what wonderful memories I have of spring-time blossoms - looking from the inside out! Beautiful pictures!!!

    Thanks for your recent visit to my blog - we do have moose and elk in the area, although I have only seen the scat so far! Will be sure to include proud photos when I get them! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...