Sunday, September 30, 2018

This Kind of Day

Finally Autumn has taken control here at the Garden Spot, and gladly we welcome the change in weather. This morning I was on chore duty, taking the place of the Head Gardner who has gone fishing. Because they are rare here in this part the country, we enjoy these cloudy, damp, almost drizzly days that give a nice respite from the dryness of which Colorado usually boasts. Come along with me as I do the only chore for the morning: feed the boys.

I have to tread carefully around Pop, the little guy who is blind in this eye. I let him know where I am by talking to him. He has some sight on the other side and does hear well, but he becomes easily disoriented and spooks at odd sounds or sudden movement.



Today's mosaic sums up the end of summer. Rain drops on the fence wire. If you are tempted to lick one off, don't. It's an electric fence. I didn't get my zinnias planted this year, but they came up anyway, at least the pinks reseeded themselves. They were everywhere. That was fine.


We are done with the garden. Yes, those are over grown yellow squash. They grew so fast that it was hard to keep up with them. We ate plenty, but couldn't even give them away. Nor was I in the mood to freeze them.





Look familiar? These ferny type branches are the over grown asparagus stalks, now gone to seed and are as tall as the fence.


The lane to the pasture and the fence make a fun photo. I had to walk to the other end of the pasture to pick up POP's fly mask that had fallen off.


The wild sunflowers had their way in this corner. Now that they have gone to seed, the birds are enjoying a sunflower seed banquet.


These two tomato bushes yielded more that twenty pounds of tomatoes. We made salsa and I froze the last large picking.


We are glad that this gardening season is done for the year. The weeds got away from us. First we anguished over it then we said to heck with it. The garden plants grew and produced right along with the weeds. It wasn't pretty, but it was plentiful.


I love these colors. 



More fall colors. Whatever this yellow plant is, it has taken over the raspberries.


And then there is a spot of summer color: one last holly hock.



Coming back from the garden, I pass the koi pond. The gold fish linger in the water, their metabolism slowed by the colder temperature.


The gold fish linger quietly, but the big koi never rests.


At first I didn't see the reflection in the water then I noticed it and had fun photographing it.


Seldom is the water's surface so still and reflective. It's almost hard to tell which is up and which is down.

Before I grow anymore confused, I have laundry to do. I've made my white chicken chili for later today day when the Head Gardner comes home. It's that kind of day.

Thanks so much for joining me today. Meet me over at Maggie's for Mosaic Monday.



10 comments:

  1. Holly hocks are such delightful plants. I once grew one that stretched up to 10 feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, your flowers are beautiful. I love zinnias, they would only be an annual here. You have some great veggies and harvest there, the home grown tomatoes are the best. The pond and fish look pretty, it is good you do not have a hawk or heron hanging around. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful garden!

    Happy Mosaic Monday and a good week!
    - Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a nice large garden. Mine is small but even with that it is hard for us to eat everything that gets produced. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden gave you a good amount of produce. It does get old, all that weeding. Ours is looking a little bedraggled, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can send me your left-over yellow squash … I love a vegetable garden at the end of summer - there is something so familiar and warm about the disorderliness that it still yielding produce!!! When I was young, my Dad would let us go into the garden right at the first frost, and have a 'fight' with the tomatoes that were left on the vines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed seeing your end of summer garden shots and the reflections in the pond, there's a nostalgic feel to your post, as we head into autumn, that sums up summer perfectly. Would love to have your white chicken chilli recipe if you care to share?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your end Summer share. Have a nice week

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is/was abundant! Loved seeing autumn through your eyes at your home. I grew up spending summers between my Uncle's farm and my Granpa's ranch. I miss it. Love the reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely garden and wonderful reflective shots.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...