Sunday, May 26, 2019

A Twice Told Tale

Sometimes we like twice told tales--our favorite fairy tales, maybe; sometimes we get bored with the repletion of the same old story--reruns of Big Bang Theory, maybe, so after blogging since 2009, nearly ten years--yeah, I know I can't believe that it has been that long either--anyway, sometimes it is hard to find new and fresh ideas to write about. At the same time there is some comfort that life cycles around and not much changes, that the good things continue and the bad moments are only momentary.

I am not sure exactly where to begin maybe just a chronology of the last week.

Snow the middle of May! We sort of expect it in the high mountain ranges, but out here on the plains?  Well, yes. Rare, but not out of the ordinary and the weather lady says we could get more snow next week. Pleeeease! No!

While the snow brings much needed moisture, it does damage plants, especially trees and this one little tree here, suffered badly. My Miss Kim Lilac in the front court yard was looking so beautiful.


She's not so pretty now. She will bloom because the snow didn't bring freezing temperatures, just wet, heavy snow. On another positive note, Colorado is now out of the drought danger and forest fires will be less likely. 


The bleeding heart in the back garden held up under the weight of snow and escaped broken stems. I love the pink hearts.


In the center circle in front, another bleeding heart, a little darker and not as full yet, but survived the storm, too.


 The snow melted and we had a week of cloud cover and some rain, but today we had sun. We started the day with breakfast with friends and then a trip to our favorite garden center and came home with load of plants, tomatoes, squash, and marigolds.


While the Head Gardener ran the rototiller, I pulled the rhubarb. 



The green growing in the garden is bind weed. It has taken over. We had nice conversation with one of the gardeners at the garden center who was full of useful information. We had a great discussion on the bindweed and other things. She directed us to read the article in the Colorado Gardener

How do you get rid of bindweed? Round-up only kills about twelve inches of the vine, so it is useless. According to the article "Bindweed Blues," the weed has roots that can go as deep as twenty inches. I had no idea, so it is vitally impossible to kill. The best suggestion: keep mowing if it in the lawn, keep pulling if it is in the garden to stress out the roots and eventually the weed will die. 

Interesting, bindweed was not native to the Americas, but new settlers brought the seeds here in among other plants, wheat seeds. Our wheat friend farmers who grow thousand of acres of seed wheat hired seed cleaners who come and remove the weed seeds and other undesirable seed.

We always plant marigolds to deter bugs, but apparently bindweed hates marigolds. 


I know that I have shared this photo a dozen times, probably, but it was such a beautiful day, it was too hard to resist taking photo.


 The cherry tree was covered in snow last week too, but look, baby cherries.




We always celebrate when a newly planted tree survives the winter, as our two year old hawthorn, and she blooms, too.



No sign of apples. As I think about it, I don't think the apple tree even bloomed out.


The pink clematis looks so pretty along with the newly planted bridal veil spirea. 


Malvia looks great. I thought I had lost it.



 Pretty in spring, the Garden Spot looks it's best. Brody even seems to be enjoying the scenery.



I hope you enjoyed my twice told tale. Spring when she does things right is beautiful.

I will leave you with something else the garden lady shared with us today: Milk Water. Like, she said, when you have a bit of milk left in the bottom of the milk jug, you fill the jug with water and water your plants to prevent or cure powdery mildew. Her neighbor gives her plants a weekly does of milk water to keep they healthy. Who'd a  thought?

Thanks for visiting. Oh if you want more reading pop over to Ann's Dollhouse Dreams to see the finished toy store. Here's a sneak peek of the little house. I won't be working on minis much this summer with all that we have to do, so I had plenty of down time this month with bad weather to get the renovations done. While I have more to do, I've moved it out of the word space so that we will have a place to work on wedding decorations. 



Linking with Angie for Mosaic Monday. See you there.

9 comments:

  1. The weather is so unpredictable & cruel, too. Wonderful photos, I love especially that one through a fence to your horse. I am fortunate not to have bindweed in my garden, it is a tough one. You have an interesting round circle of growing geraniums! Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - yep, Mother Nature always has a few tricks up her sleeves … it is distressing when it damages trees or plants that have already fully leafed out. Looks like you escaped without too much impact … And we are grateful for anything that can reduce the risk of fire danger! Love to see a man working a garden with a rototiller - reminds me so much of my Dad! Thanks for linking this delightful story to Mosaic Monday - and I don't mind if you tell it again for another 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of the milk treatment, worth a try I'm sure. I always plant Marigolds in the greenhouse with the tomatoes and have never had greenfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I heard about your May snow on the news. I love the bleeding hearts and the pink clematis, just beautiful. Bindweed is new to me, sounds awful. Brody is adorable, cute doggie. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my you live in such a cold place - too cold for me and too much snow. Love your garden and am looking forward to future installments on its growth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't want any snow now anymore, Ann. I love all your pictures and do not find there is replication in them. Love the one with the dog, so beautiful! I knew that bindweed can grow right down to Australia and am permanently weeding where I have it here and the milk treatment I knew about to spray on the leaves but never heard to use it on the soil. Shall remember that if needs be. Crossing fingers that spring is truely on its way for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That storm made our news coverage here in Bangkok (BBC World.) I feel for you. as everyone wants to enjoy that feeling of seeing the end of the winter storms. It is good news about the end of the drought though. Our Aussie farmers would enjoy seeing the end of drought conditions too.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warm wishes. Hope the sun shibes in your back yard. Thanks for the lovely mosaics and photos

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the bleeding hearts and the pink clematis, so beautiful.

    Bindweed - don't know if this article may help you?
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/controlling-bindweed.htm

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...