Monday, February 1, 2021

January to July

Not to be negative, but what a mess January has been. Usually we can at least look forward to National Western Stock Show. I took the girls last year. We had such fun.This year the big stock show where ranchers, cowboys, and cowgirls come from all around to compete and show their animals that they have groomed, fed, and trained to compete for generous awards was canceled due to the pandemic. The grand and reserve grand champion beef, sheep, and hog are auctioned off with the winner receiving the proceeds which also are shared with the organization to provide scholarships and to fund the next year's event. Last year the top steer brought t$150,000. 

Here, too, COVID cases shot up along with the controversies that seem to define the pandemic. I took my first vaccine shot with only soreness at the injection site. I get the second one February 9. The Head Gardener has not received his invitation from our health care organization. We continue to be cautious about going out. I use the Click List for my grocery store and do parking lot delivery. It is so much easier than trudging through the store where I am inclined to over spend. I go to Hobby Lobby routinely, but it's never crowed, so I feel less intimidated shopping there. And that's about it. 

January brings the end of year bookkeeping and tax prep. Ugh. 

Yesterday we loaded up Brody to take a drive out on the prairie, the Pawnee National Grasslands. This time of year a dead, brown landscape meets the pure blue sky. The land is dotted with the remnants of century old, abandoned homesteads, such as the black circle in this photo that isolates the homestead of my husband's great grandparents, Pete and Ella Rasmussen. As the story, goes they were the first to lose their homestead when the government began reposing properties for back taxes. We used to be able to drive up to the site, but the roads have  been shut down. While this road serves the windmill, only the rancher has use. Along that ridge are the remnants of teepee rings where the plains Indians camped. The area, bland as the land is, carries a rich history of the growth of the west. 

I always find myself imagining the very harsh living conditions year round; it is little wonder that farmers went broke and lost their farms. And before them the Indians who no doubt traveled their own paths, headed to the mountain hunting grounds.


While Montana is known as the Big Sky state, eastern Colorado had plenty of big sky, too. 

And then as we return back west to head home, the Rocky Mountains suddenly appear, less snow capped this year with the snow pack far before normal. We're in for a drought wrought summer.

July will be the hot month. I had to take this photo last summer as I returned from shopping one day: 100 digress at 1 PM. On this cold, dry winter morning, the warmth certainly sounds inviting.

July--red, white, and blue, the patriotic month as Lucifer corcosmia give that splash of red in the center garden that is irroestiable. 

My little super market red, white, and blue baskets lasted all summer and served the humming birds too. 

Larkspur added the splash of blue that lacks in the garden. This spot is a very hard spot to grow because the red ants eat the vegetation, but I did add a pop of orange with the poppy. She survived the winter, so hopefully she will thrive this summer with some special attention. Some one warned my about the poverty plant taking over, but that's okay. I need spot fillers. 







I bought a new DSLR camera, too. It has a photo editing feature that allows you shoot in that mode to get interested photos without editing. A fun feature to play with.



From the heat of red to the cool of white, the cosmos bloom all summer long






The Head Gardener got tired of weeding and decided to do some fishing, but first he had to customize his little pontoon and then take it for it's maiden voyage. Brody had his first introduction to water. 

He likes it.



As January leaves us, February brings the glow of love. The granddaughters spent the afternoon making things. I had some soap making supplies, so we melted the soap blocks and made pink hearts. I also shared my Valentine card making supplies and they spent the afternoon making Valentines for friends.

Little Lily brought me a bouquet of dead things that she found outside. I loved the thought and enjoyed the variety of material that she found to make a little arrangement. It will spend the rest of winter here. I pulled my Lenox tea set out of the cupboard to make a sweet little spot. 

             


One bright spot in January: the arrival of the season's seed catalogs. Burbee's arrives first The Head Gardener is already after me to pick my favorites as he has his overly ambitious plant list made. Why do two old people need a dozen tomato plants? 


My list will include lots of my favorites: a variety of sunflowers and an awesome collection of zinnias.

Now, it's time to get dressed, eat some breakfast, and get my day started.

Thanks for visiting. Drop by Mosaic Monday where I'll be linking my own Monday Mosaic.





8 comments:

  1. Yes, we make plans too... for us, for the house and the garden. Hope the best for this YEAR to get better days.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two dozen tomato plants sound like the right amount for two old people. If I had more space, I'd do more than a dozen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing photos of Brody :)) And congrats on the new camera, what fun! You take some lovely photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - several of our neighbors have kids that participate in 4-H, and it is tough financially that they spend money on these animals, counting on an auction that doesn't happen! I have read a number of history books on homesteaders -- it is a wonder any of them were able to make it through the time required to claim the land. I love the effect you used on your new camera - very cool photos! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann, You've shared so many evocative photos here. That brown earth and blue, blue sky -- what a contrast! I often think the sky is more interesting around here in winter than summer. I bet you could do some really good stargazing out there where you are. Yes, the pandemic has affected so many things here, too. We're all trying to make the best of it. Your Lenox tea set is beautiful, and dear Brody is such a handsome dog. :)

    Thank you for your visit and kind comments last week, Ann. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    Warm hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too live on the Eastern Plains. Do you start your seeds indoors? When do you plant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann, love your description of the land and the changing seasons, even the changes made from the pandemic. But seeing that little dried bouwuet and your lovely Lenox tea set made my day, encouraging me to set up a vignette of my own, although mine is just a pottery tea set! Brightens things up! Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...