Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Prep

So are you up to your elbows in flour? Is the turkey defrosting? Are the little ones ready to go over the river and trough the woods to grandma's? Are the men planning out their football schedule? Perhaps there will be some shopping for the bargain seekers. Here, the first of the Amazon gifts have arrived. So easy. I tell the head gardener what to order and he does it.  

My dinner duties this year are simple: pecan pie, cranberry relish, and mashed potatoes. The pecan pie is a must, according to the family, especially the men. It is oooooy-gooey sweet. A once a year treat wish filled, especially with the price of pecans.

I came by the recipe years ago, 39 to be exact when we spent Christmas at my brother and new bride's house in Texas. My brother gave me his recipe to copy. I don't know if they bake the pie or not, but I have made the pie every year since.

I cherish the worn and torn patina of the recipe of the yellowed graph paper. Seems that every year it takes another spill. One year it nearly went up in flames. Just for safe keeping, I have a copy on the computer.









Done. One to perfection, one  not so, but it won't go to waste.



If you are traveling, travel safely, if you are cooking, rest your feet and back and call for back up when it comes time to clean up. 

                                                  Most of all, Happy Thanksgiving.



10 comments:

  1. Your pies look DELICIOUS Ann, and so does the cranberry relish. I always take a broccoli casserole to my parents' or in-law's for Thanksgiving, and then I may take a pie, deviled eggs, rolls -- it varies.

    You're so right about the price of pecans. We've been buying ours at Sam's Club for several years now, and I noticed they'd gone up this year. The prices keep going up and the package sizes keep getting smaller. Sigh.

    I hope you and your loved ones have a Very Happy Thanksgiving, Ann!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That was always my favorite pie! I bought GA pecans when we traveled through earlier this month and I have been snacking on them. Enjoy your day! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family Ann xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both pies look perfect to me. I just love the history of recipes..I saw the burn mark!
    Happy Thanksgiving and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann, your pecan pie looks yummy! I love old family (food)traditions like that. We have kind of come to like the American tradition of having a turkey for Thanksgiving, but this year we break with it and will have a duck. I never done a duck and I hope we can pull it up. Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pecan pies look delicious, it is so special to keep traditions going and to have old scraps of paper with favorite recipes and sweet memories.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I am the day after the big meal, hoping that you had a grand time.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, Ann! We just celebrated today. :o) Those pecan pies look mighty tasty. I love that you've saved that recipe for so long.

    Here's a tip about pie crusts: use 2 1/2 cups pastry flour ( I use King Arthur pastry flour available online), 1 tsp salt, 1 cup frozen Crisco cut into small cubes, and 1/2 cup ice water with 1 tbs vinegar added to the ice water. The acid in the vinegar breaks the bonds that form between the fat and flour helping create a flaky crust. Pastry flour has a much lower protein level, which creates a lighter crust, too. This recipe will give you enough for two discs of dough. Let them rest in the fridge for several hours and then bring them to room temp before rolling them out on a cold counter or marble slab. I remember your previous post about pies so I thought you might like these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving! Your pie looks yummy. I haven't had much luck making pies. This year I made peanut butter cake instead for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I trust you had a nice Thanksgiving Ann with your family. Your pecan pie looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...