Monday, March 6, 2017

Broken Record?

I am beginning to sound like a broken record, here: It is a Windy Monday Morning. Yes again. It is March and it is northern Colorado and we are just down the highway from windy Wyoming. No Gardening today. We are getting to  into the mood, though; however, there will not be any planting done until after Mother's Day when for us here in Zone 5 we can safely plant the tender garden vegetables and tender perennials to avoid a killing frost. Until then we have plenty of clean up to do. I just haven't worked myself into that frame of mind yet.

Jen has started tomatoes and peppers for us this year. She grows nice beginner sets that did so well last year. The tomatoes that she shared with us did the best.

I thought I'd share my breakfast--or anytime of day--burrito. The burritos are easy to mix, easy to freeze, and make a quick meal when you just are not in the mood to cook or if you have spent the morning out in the garden working and are too tired to fix a meal.

You will need:

1 lb. ground beef (or not)
1 package of frozen potatoes. I used the Jimmy Dean Skillets: sausage  breakfast mix with green and red peppers, onions, and sausage. Of course you can cop it all fresh.
Scrambled eggs: I used 8 eggs
Picante sauce
Cheddar Cheese, grated
 10 pack of flour tortilla

If you use the breakfast potatoes that have the sausage included you really don't need the ground beef.  If you are not a sausage person or prefer meatless, use just the eggs. Really, customize the recipe as you like.


  • Brown the ground beef, adding seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic powder
  • scramble eggs, adding seasoning
  • Combine ground beef and eggs then add 1/2 cup picante sauce.
  • Assemble burrito. I add 1/2 cup of the filling to the flour tortilla on top if 1 ounce of cheddar cheese.
Before I assemble the burritos, I use individually cut aluminum square sheets lined with baking parchment. I stack these before I assemble the burrito: aluminum foil, parchment, tortilla. 

Next I roll the burrito by folding the sides in first then rolling the tortilla. With the seam down, I roll the burrito in the parchment then roll the foil around the wrapped tortilla. I place them in the freezer, and now I have a snack or meal for the Head Gardener. While I eat one, he will eat two. To reheat them, I take them directly from the freezer, remove the foil wrap and warm in the microwave. Mine has a setting for reheating a dinner plate. Since it warms by temperature of the food, the burritos are nicely thawed and warmed usually with one setting

Of course you can add or substitute ingredients that fit your taste. 


I have taken on yet another project, re creating a 150 year old christening gown. My dear cousin wants to recreate her grandfather's christening gown, and while she is a quilter, she does not sew clothing, so she has asked me to make the dress for her. I really should prepare a better post to show the work that we are going doing. Her friend made a pattern from the dress. There isn't much to go on as far as directions in assembling the dress, so we had to figure it out. Together we figured out how the dress was assembled, so after Jeanne left, I cut the pattern top out of inner facing, sewed the pieces together then tried it on a Cabbage Patch doll. I have it figured out. Now I have to figure out how to do the lace insertion on the front panel. I will make it out of muslin first then then use her beautiful lace and cotton.



Saturday was most exciting, for my daughters and I were inducted into the DAR. Here we are taking the oath. My sister-in-law standing at the far right hopes that her application will soon be approved.

I had quite a grandma moments. Certainly the hanging strap on my sweater shows, but worse at the end of the meeting when I got in the car I noticed that I had two different shoes same style only one was navy and one was black. We had a good laugh over both.


Saturday ended at the skate park. Sweet Nathan waited all day to go to the skate park a few blocks away from the house. We all went down to watch him have fun. 

This week, if the weather cooperates, I hope to get outside to do some clean-up. The sewing project is on hold until I get my sewing machine back. I had to take it in to be serviced.

Have you started your garden work yet? We will have plenty to share soon with the spring bulbs breaking ground. Have a wonderful week.




12 comments:

  1. So far all I have done is to wash the greenhouse glass. It's just too cold to stay out for long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive and fantastic undertaking to replicate the 150 year old Christening gown. My husband's family as a similar aged one that all the babies have used for their Christenings. It was mentioned to me that it was getting very frail. I wonder if they have considered doing the same thing? Thank you for the delicious recipe. I shall try that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, congrats on the DAR induction. That is really cool. Is March not usually windy? Your burrito sounds delicious. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No garden work here, yet. Winter doesn't want to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! The wind! Argh!
    How exciting (the DAR!)
    You're so right when you say we must wait until after Mother's Day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you and your daughters...how proud you must be. We are planting some things in the flower beds this week but it's warm here and we are trying to get it done before it is too hot! Enjoy your week sweet friend! Hugs, Diane (hope you found that other pair of shoes! heehee! I may want to borrow them!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing in the garden - too wintry yet. The christening gown will certainly be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you all you must be so proud, too. The weather has turned cold in the past few days so not much outdoor work being done here, it's a good thing I can leave the daffodils alone to do their own thing and make everything look pretty.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like good comfort food, I do love burritos and that type of food! I've been in hibernation this winter but coming out into the garden a bit now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, there must be some Canadian genes in you Ann as we're notorious for talking and beefing about the weather. (continuously) I don't know anything about DAR or what your goals are, if you get a minute perhaps you can email me?
    I wish people would tell us when we need 'fixin' before a photo is taken, at least we couldn't see your shoes. :-)
    I won't be gardening until April some time likely, more snow on the way and the ground is like a sponge out there. We're on clay and it takes a long time to dry enough to walk on.
    Good luck with the Christening gown project, I'm sure it will be gorgeous when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ann,

    We've had a crazy winter here in N.C. Everything spring is blooming here; the Japanese cherry trees were in full bloom by the middle of February! Now the redbuds, crabapples, and Bradford pears are blooming. We had a hard frost last weekend that turned some of the blossoms brown. But we are predicted to have snow on Sunday, and very cold temps. next week. I fear our flowers won't survive that.

    Your burrito recipe looks and sounds really good. :) Thanks for sharing that. The christening gown is just beautiful; you'll have to show us your re-creation when it's finished.

    Congratulations on getting into the DAR. I really need to see about doing that; my uncle has done all the research for our family, and he says we're qualified to be a member. I'm sure you'll enjoy being a part of the organization.

    Take care and have a great weekend!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. The breakfast burritos sound really good. I know you are waiting for spring. Ours has come and winter seems ready to sneak in a mini repeat performance. Loved the picture of your grandson, and congratulations on the DAR. I like checking in your doll house blog from time to time. I am so fascinated by doll houses!

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...