Sunday, September 23, 2018

Fall? Really?

As Fall secretly slips in, it doesn't seem much like fall here at the Garden Sport. We have been waiting for her arrival, but Sister Summer lingers--sisters are like that, sometimes, aren't they? w
Wearing out their welcome trying to be helpful. It's hard to tell a sister that it's time to move on, to go home, but when she just does not know when when to quit, then it is time. Like when she turns up the thermostat and refused to turn it back down no matter how much we fuss and beg, Sister Summer has the upper hand. Here's a very good example: Record breaking heat for the end of September here in Northern Colorado, like 90 degrees+. Sweltering. Even the "D word" is being spoken out loud: Drought. We haven't had rain for days, so we are ready for a change, for cooler days, and we might even welcome Jack Frost, especially if he could encourage Sister Summer to held else where.










Still we enjoy the the last remnants of summer, especially the roses in their last flush of the season, the third bloom, and reasonably the last one.


The roses weren't quite so prolific this summer. I am not too sure why. Perhaps they reflected my own lack of energy. In May routine blood tests showed that I was low in magnesium, seriously deficient due to a prescription that I had been taking for acid reflux. I was on it much, much longer than the recommended six weeks. My old doctor let me get by with taking it, while the the new doctor who took over after he retired had my magnesium level tested and as a result took me off of that particular drug and ordered me to take magnesium supplements to replenish my levels. It has taken me all summer to build up my magnesium, and I am beginning to get my energy back. I am using a magnesium spray on the bottoms of my feet and taking hot Epsom's salt baths when I am particularly tried. My regime seems to be working. 
As I took the iPhone photos of the front garden, I saw the garden through a new lens, so to speak, both literally and figuratively. I tend to get frustrated with things that I create be it the garden or the dollhouse or a homemade greeting card. I am too critical of the things I do, so today as I photographed the front courtyard, I was really quite surprised and pleased and said to myself that the little garden looks really good.
Just over the brick wall is the new garden that we built early in the summer. It has struggled with the heat and it has been hard to keep enough water on the new plants mostly because we have the gardens on a timer. Rain would help so much. We planted six dahlias, too--late. Too late. Four poked early leaves out; rabbits ate one; one just disappeared; the third is still growing--maybe it will flower, but probably not; and one bloomed and then faded because it has been so hot and dry. I love these dinner plate sized blooms. I'd like to plant a garden full next year. I think I'd like them better than the cabbages that the rabbits ate because we didn't have a dog to scare them away. But, hey, we have a dog now.



 The little water garden the summer looks so good at summer's end with its crystal clear water, finally. No scum. No algae. How'd that happen? And it is isn't leaking. You can't see them but there are 7 little gold fish that we caught in the big water feature in the back yard. We will probably have to catch them before the pond freezes. And the water lily bloomed. It's pink.





Even the bin weed the I can't pulled out looks almost good climbing on the little wind chime. 


The fruitless strawberries take all summer to fill in then die back in the winter. I get tired of them and think about redesigning the entry. I didn't have the energy this summer, and I'm glad that I didn't. 


The clematis continues to bloom and fills her corner. I cut it her back quite a bit this spring, but not enough. I'll try to prune her earlier next spring--just like I promised this summer.

I've picked a lot of tomatoes, green peppers, Anaheim, and jalapeƱos and taken them to my daughter' where we made salsa on two different days. We varied the batches all the way from one with only green peppers (for me), one with just Anaheim, and one with just jalapeƱos for my son-in-law who likes it hot. I still have plenty of tomatoes and Jen has her tomatoes and peppers, too. I have already told her that she's on her own. We still have a lot of tomatoes to pick. I am waiting just a bit longer then I am going to try to make spaghetti sauce. Do you have any really good recipes? 

Then there's Miss Lily who decided to make marmalade after she saw the current Paddington Bear movie. She didn't even know what it was, but her mother went along with it. She helped prepare the oranges and even filled the jars with the hot mixture with Paddington supervising. (My friend gave me the bear after our trip to England when we took the train at Paddington Station in London).


 He doesn't replace Boone, but then we didn't expect Brody to that, but he does do some of the same things that Boone loved. The chickens are great fun to harass and bark at. Here he is pointing at the rooster. While hens do their Chicken Little impression and run for cover when they see Brody approach, the rooster stands his ground. Brody does his pointer thing and barks a lot, too.


His first encounter with the horses didn't go so well either because he had never seen a horse, but Boon had the boys well trained, so they are not scared of Brody. He doesn't know that it's really not wise to walk under a horse and hopefully he won't meet any other horses who don't allow dogs such such liberties. He is slowly getting over his timid ways, but still household sounds scare him and he sets his feet and refuses to go to his outdoor kennel. The Head Gardener has to carry him. He is learning not to jump on me and we think he is making progress asking going outside when he needs to. We just have to make sure to listen to him.

Thanks so much joining me. I'm not as diligent as I should be--could be--used to be--at posting, but I'm not going to stop simply because I'd my my friends, so I do appreciate that you drop by just to see what I'm doing--if I'm writing about it. 

Join me over at Life in Normandy. It'll be fun.

11 comments:

  1. We've had a few weeks of cooler weather, more like autumn, but this week is supposed to be warmer again, so it seems that summer is making a bit of a comeback. It won't be for long, though. Your dahlia is beautiful, so I'm glad it survived. I hope you are gaining back your energy a bit every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy catching up with happenings in the Garden spot this morning. Brody seems to be settling in well, such a handsome chap. Sorry to hear about your dahlias, pop over to Angie's blog for some tips she has some stunning blooms this week. Three types of salsa, wow, you have been busy and Lily looks so focused on her marmalade production, did she enjoy the taste or did Paddington eat it all? Your new meds seem to be helping you to get your mojo back, happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a pleasure again to visit each.... happy Mosaic Monday

    Heidrun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ann, good you were diagnosed and have now a remedy! Epsom salt was totally unknown to me before but I read to use it against all kind of health problems when I started with chicken keeping, so I smiled that you use it on your feet :-).
    Weather in Wales is totally different than anywhere in Europe or perhaps even the States. All is 'normal', normal rainfal, normal temperatures and the plants are going to be fine here. The Pembrokeshire soil is famous! We are starting week 4 in new grounds and enjoy it daily - what an adventure and how utterly thankful I am that we were able to manage and can get started afresh now. Good that you have such a nice hunting dog again, how lucky was he to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that acid reflux medication might lower the magnesium level. But I take magnesium citrate every evening - it relaxes and helps to sleep. Your garden looks very pretty. Happy autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your energy is coming back with the magnesium supplements for I think it's dreadful when you cannot do what you want to do. Your frontgarden really looks nice with the roses against the wall and what about Brody, he has found a comfortable and sweet home and will quickly get used to the rules of the house.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is lovely. I take magnesium, too. Brody is quite handsome. One of the best dogs I ever had was a German Shorthair Retriever. Looks like Lily did a fine job with marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, it seems we have had too much rain. It really feels like fall here with cool weather. I am glad the magnesium is helping you. I am glad Brody is learning the routines. He is a beautiful dog. Love the horse too. Your flowers are pretty. Enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is always more to do than we have energy to do, and often Mother Nature has a way of caring for things when we can't … if this trend continues, drought-tolerant plants may be the way to go! Post when you can/want to - I always enjoy reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cannot believe that it is fall time already! These are some great photos that you took! Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your day. Keep up the posts.

    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased you are getting your magnesium levels sorted, so important.
    I think your garden looks good, thanks for the great selection of photographs you've shared.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...