Sunday, October 21, 2018

Oxymoron


Autumn really threw her weight around as she came in first with hot flashes with unseasonably warm first days of Fall. One day the temperatures neared 90 degrees and the next we were warned about an early winter storm and storm it did. We had about 6 inches of snow, which didn't last because once the sun came out, the snow went away.




The damage was done. No saving plants; the cannas had been so beautiful this summer in their patio pots. 


Beyond the patio, the three ash trees that were just beginning to show their fall colors, dumped their leaves in pile on the new snow. Our fall colors  here in Northern Colorado were ruined as the storm stripped the trees of their leaves. 



While Autumn can be fickle, she does have a kinder side. Yesterday the grandsons were visiting and that called for the season's last patio lunch: hot dogs served on paper plates. I had to dig for paper plates, but I came up a few left-over holiday items for lunch.


Nathan reminded me that I should have had plates appropriate for the season, like maybe Halloween plates, perhaps, he suggested politely.

I didn't take to time to explain that the lack of planning on my part drove me to use whatever I had on hand. He enjoyed his hot dog anyway.

 H


He also helped out. His eyes lit up when he saw the leave blower that I was going to use to blow away a million locust leaves. I gave him my ear plugs and the leave blower and told him to get busy. A side note: this photo is a bit of an oxymoron don't you think with the leaf blower and the snow shovel? That's the way it is here at the Garden Spot.




 A rare moment, Brody standing still. Brody is growing and gaining a few manners. He is learning quickly about life in the house, but thinks he belongs on the furniture and the bed. He sees us on the furniture, so of course, he can use the furniture, too. We may lose the battle. 


Not only were the boys here, but the granddaughters arrived, too. It was a special day for Lily and Pop. Saturday after Saturday Lily has to go with her sisters and just watch as they take their riding lesson. Well this Saturday, the riding instructor came to our house and gave Lily a lesson on Pop. Both were amazing. Mrs. J. couldn't get over how old Pop was (32) and how well he responded to Lily. I was amazed at how well Lily could make the old boy take her cues and do what he was supposed to do. 


 Late in the day just before the sun glides behind the Rocky Mountains I love to go out and take photos of the same things that I always photograph. The golden glow makes the palomino boy even more golden. The apple tree still has it leaves, and like all of the other trees that didn't get to turn color, dead leaves still cling to the branches. Even the boring wood fence takes on new character as the sun sheds its last rays on the Garden Spot.

Life is quiet here at the Garden Spot. The garden is done. The flowers have faded. There is, however, always something do here.

Thanks for stopping by. I'll be linking to Mosaic Monday. Join the fun there. 



8 comments:

  1. Oh dear, the snow came early! The palomino boy is cute <3 Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I would be happy with snow that just disappears the next day. Your Brody is a pretty dog. I love the last mosaic the golden glow is beautiful. Our trees are mostly green here, very little fall colors. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that early snow fall really took you by surprise, such a shame it killed off your cannas and spoiled your fall colours display. At least the snowmen napkins were appropriate, well done Grandma! How lovely that Lily & Pop got to have a lesson together, there'll be no stopping them now mark my words.
    Happy Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully inspiring, Ann, thank you. Not the snow, but the golden light on the Palomino. Haven't had time to share, but... I finally did it! Went back to Belgium and brought the horse across, 31 hours travel for her but she came out fresh like a rose. Hope to catch up with all soon. Best wishes, Anke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the horse mosaic with the sunlight filtering in....so magical! That white stuff is petty magical at this time of year too! It's cool here now...not that cool though! heehee! 70s instead of 90s! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - what a wonderful post. And is that a new header? THAT (if not your paper plates) is appropriate for the season. Aren't kids just a hoot with the things they come out with? And now I have a hankering for a hot dog …. I remember one year we had a major ice storm in Ohio in October, and we lost so many tree limbs because they were heavy with the leaves and ice … Mother Nature can be fickle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Ann. The weather can be so unpredictable these days. Sorry about your cannas. I once had a German Shorthair Ret.... the best dog I ever had. She never got on the furniture when we were home, but when we left -- she tried everything out. We could see her outline on the bed and sofa. As she aged, we let her join us -- where-ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness the snow did come early!

    Lovely photographs you've shared - those hot dogs are going down well!
    I do like the colours in your last mosaic.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...