Monday, March 25, 2019

Spring Break

Spring Break goes on for weeks here at the Garden Spot. Two weeks ago, it was the University's break, so although I only go there for two hours on Wednesday to tutor, I had that morning free. Last week, the granddaughters were on break, but Mom kept them very busy, so they came over for just one day, and this week, the grandsons are here for their break. Sixteen year old Jacob will go home Wednesday while Nathan wants to stay the whole time, which is great.

This morning the boys went with the Head Gardener to have coffee with the old guys, and I suppose shopping at some sporting goods store. Each boy will fix a supper. Tonight Nathan will make pizza, so we will go to the grocery and get his ingredients and tomorrow Jacob will make meatloaf. I will have them do the entire process: plan, shop, prepare, and clean-up.

Meanwhile, Spring is upon us, and talk about coming in like lion is most certainly understated. Last week I wrote about the terrible blizzard that still has Nebraska in its grips then last Friday as we ate at our favorite pizzeria with friends, our phones began to go crazy, screaming the tornado warning to take immediate cover. As it turned out the twister was near our friends' home and they were concerned. No damage, but really Spring? In March?

The snow melted and then rain came; now we are beginning to see the lawn and pastures turn green and the spring bulbs are pushing up through the soil nicely. Can't wait for them!

I woke up this morning thinking about the parties that we will be hosting in August, the class reunion and the wedding. So I'll be working through my ideas here. You all have been with me a long time, so I have to include you. I took photos this morning of the yard and here is what I am thinking:


Soon the three crab apples will be in full bloom with red, yellow, and orange tulips in bloom beneath them. Sadly all that color does not last that long. For our summer parties, these three trees will pruned and lighted. I consulted a professional yard lighting expert--our daughter who works for a tree company in Denver and does their outdoor Christmas lighting, so she will order the commercial grade LEDs and install them. 

A large white tent for both the reunion and the wedding will be set up beyond the ash trees next to the barn.


We call this the barn circle. Last summer the Head Gardener skirted the pine trees, meaning that he pruned off the lower limps that touched the ground. What difference getting rid of that growth made. It opened up the yard and created a "livable" space. We have a lot of work to do to get this space party ready. One half is grass while the other half is gravel mulch, which is very hard to maintain, so we are going hire a landscaper the removed the gravel and install sod. The irrigation is already in place. I am excited for the change; it's something that I have long wanted to do. 

I plan to string Edison lights through the branches. We will have tables and chairs set up here and perhaps a dance floor. 


This is the pile of rubbish created from skimming the pine trees. It all has to be hauled off. A really big job.


We seldom use the fire pit, but I am sure that we will light it up for one or both of the parties.


These old chairs were slated for the land fill, but I see them often in the garden magazines, so I guess they will stay.


Same for this old table and chairs that were left here by the previous owner. I think I'll spray paint them for the parties.


This self seeded tree has to be removed.


I can just see the trees all lit up at night. My neighbors will have a better view than I do. I hope they enjoy them.


We do have our work cut out for us. Stay tuned.

Thanks so much for joining me. Have a great week and enjoy Spring.






:


8 comments:

  1. Lots of planning and hard work ahead! It will be a real delight, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much to look forward to this year...hope you have plenty of help too! You have some 'playing' to do along the way too! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, it is nice your grandsons help fix the dinners. Pizza is my favorite but I like meatloaf too. The parties sound like a fun time to plan. I like the idea of seeing the trees with lights, it should look very pretty. Enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, lots of planning and work ahead of you … I like the idea of lights in the trees.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann - all of your ideas sound lovely. In addition to painting those old chairs, you could also dress them up with some simple pillows or ribbons. I look forward to hearing more about your plans and progress as the year goes on. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday! P.S. I don't like living in forest fire country, but I think tornadoes scare me even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the break part, but where's the spring? We had two sunny days and now we are back to rain, not showers, rain. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely. I'm imagining your property all lit up at night from the lights and happy people. It's going to be gorgeous for your parties. Lots of work, but so worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The nature looks still very bare and colorless, no new fresh green. It is actually pretty & calming. You have an important summer ahead - sending you lots of energy & enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...