Sunday, June 12, 2022

Pink Ladies and More


 While the boys--Head Gardener and Grandsons--headed to the hills for an archery target 
shooting event, I stayed home where I assumed chore duty, which really isn't saying much because the HG has things pretty well set up when it's my turn. I actually enjoy feeding the critters because they appreciate it.

The young hens, now about half grown will soon join the flock on the other side of the henhouse. They are shy and not tame, but these two girls are beautiful, the gray Lavender Orpington and the Domnique. 


As the June heat ramps up toward 90 and above, the peonies seem to be blooming out quickly, and soon they will done. I photographed Raspberry Parfait each day as she began to open. What a beauty she started out as, but as she matured quickly, she has lost some of glamor. Still she smells wonderfully.

                                                               Raspberry Parfait and some of her sisters.


While the pink ladies thrive in the summer heat the hostas prefer shade, lots of cool shade. The top of the mosaic shows the two that still need to be transplanted from the front garden when we lost a shade tree to the back Barn Circle garden where the pines and aspen will shade them. I call this mosaic Happy Hostas, but really there are a couple that aren't. You can barely pick them out in the over growth of bindweed, giant alums that take over the space, and some vinca that inches it way all over the place. 



While the prairie ranches need moisture, our hay field looks pretty healthy, thanks to well water irrigation. No, not city or treated water, but the farm wells that were here when these acreages were a farm. We are fortunate to have that water source.



We've had better stands of grass, taller grass, but this will get the granddaughters' horses through the winter.


The HG mowed a path for the neighbor to come in to cut, but it will be a day or so before he cuts the hay.

Although I have photographed these Columbine hundreds of times, I just cannot get enough of their beauty. I'm using a Nikon DLS D3500 with a 75-300mm telephoto to get my close up shots. This camera gives such crisp, clear photos that I just can't stop clicking the shutter. I use Auto, which is the lazy way out, but I like the results. A long time ago when I used my Pentax Spotmatic with film that did not have Auto, I knew all the technology to set the camera, but those days are long gone--for me at least.

I especially like how it stops action. Sometimes I use the athletic mode that allows the shutter to keep taking photos as long as the button is pressed. I use that for the girls when they ride and often when I'm stalking wildlife, like this honey bee. Actually, this is one of those surprise shots that if we planned it, we couldn't get it right.


June is also Tiger Swallowtail Time. Newly hatched butterflies have voracious appetites and Miss Kim lilac is the hot spot to dine. Again I've taken hundreds swallowtail shots, always captivated by their beauty and grace,  wanting to get the perfect photo.

There are actually two butterflies feasting here.



#1




#2


Sometime it feels like all work and no play, here at the Garden Spot, we do take some time to enjoy a drive. With Nathan here for two weeks, it was an opportune time take a drive out on Pawnee Grass Lands to see--or not--the early summer blooms and wildlife, but there weren't any blooms because the spring was so dry, but we did see some wildlife and some not so wild.




My telephoto just isn't strong enough to get good bird photos. The is best I could get of this lark.


The prairie dog was little easier to get decent  shots of.


He knew something wasn't right, so he poked his head out of this den to see what the rumble was shook the ground floor of his home.


He sent out his shrill whistle and wiggled his tail to let the rest of the colony know that something large was lurking about--a Ford F-350 pickup truck! Certain danger for sure.


He tested the wind. Got his bearings. Came up with a plan.


And was on the move to a safer den.

Cute and entertaining as they are, prairie dogs are not ranchers' friends. Their destructive hole digging tears up useful grasslands and poses certain dangers for broken legs on cattle and horses. Still, it's always fun to watch the little critters.

We do love cows.


A mamma cow takes rest with her calf nearby



Right now Northern Colorado cattle ranchers are worried about the future of their herds as they face sending them to market because of the drought. We've heard this story over and over again as each part of Rural America goes suffers through a drought that affect them the most. With the lack of moisture on grasslands and ranch pastures, the grass doesn't grow; thus, there is no feed. And then the cattle are gone.

The Orchid Saga



Sadly it looks like the bud on the stem in water has withered. I was hopeful for a while, but the mother orchid has her second stem beginning to bloom. It is a bit thrilling to watch beauty happen.

Have a wonderful week, and thanks for visiting. I always love your comments.

I headed over to Angie's @Letting go of the Bay Leaf to link up with Monday Mosaic. See you there.





4 comments:

  1. loved everything in the post but my favs are the columbine and butterfly photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - "Raspberry Parfait" - what a delicious name for a peony! You touched on drought in a couple of ways - its impact on hay and cattle - and the blessings of your own water source. This is going to become more and more of an issue than it already is ... Love your columbine photos - my first red columbine just bloomed yesterday! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love peonies. They are in our garden too ... and of cours on our table in the Vase.

    Happy MosaicMonday 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prairie dog sure is a cutie! We used to see them when we lived in NM. And it is great that you have the water source. LOVE the Columbine and butterfly photos! WOW

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...