Sunday, August 21, 2022

Ambushed


 


The wild sunflowers are beginning to fade. They are good self starters and since I didn’t get my sunflower seeds planted this spring, the wild ones have to do. The road sides are a glow with the shorter truly wild sunflowers, but in the garden they have crossed with the giant flowers and grow so tall that they literally touch the sky—in photos anyway.


They have had an interesting life cycle, hosting a number of insect species from lady bugs to a vast variety of bees, and even the deadly ambush bug, Phymata, a nasty little creature, aptly named, that hides the petals of the flower then attacks its unsuspecting pray, stabbing it with its proboscis, injecting a deadly toxin then sucking out the poor creatures brain and bodily fluids. Can there be a worse nightmare for our favorite insects? Probably not. What then should a gardener do to protect the good guys, the pretty ones, the beneficial insects in the garden?

 

While we may use herbicides to control noxious weeds such as bindweed, wild morning glory, and Canadian thistle here at the Garden Spot, we resist the use any pesticides in both the flower beds and the vegetable garden. What will be will be in the cycle of life of plants and critters. I don’t mind the vegetarian caterpillars, for they mostly only destroy leafy vegetation, such as the much-hated tomato horn worms, which we seldom see in our garden. My dad’s approach was to plant another plant for them. Many caterpillars metamorphize into beautiful butterflies and moths, so we tolerate them, even protect them.

 

Then we find those critters in the Hemiptera order (true bugs) such as the ambush bug and the assassin bug that pose certain dangers to our favorite pollinators, so there is a fine balance between what and how to or if we even should control the carnivorous insect predators. As I did research for this post, I wanted to find ways to control the assassin or ambush but learned a lot about them. Not only are the assassin bugs a deadly threat to bees and butterflies, but some varieties have venom that is toxic to humans—dangerously so. While assassin bugs come in many different varieties and seem plentiful in the garden, I haven’t identified any specific ones except for the ambush bug that hides just at the edge of the pistil, waiting for unsuspecting bees and butterflies to land on the center of the flower.

 

To use pesticides would contaminant the food that we harvest from the garden and kill the good bugs, so while it breaks my heart to discover a bee or small butterfly lying lifelessly on a pretty flower, it’s only a cycle of life. One of these articles reminds the reader the assassin bugs may kill a few bees, but they also kill the bad bugs, too, such as aphids; so they, on the other hand, are garden guardians.   

 

All about Phymata:  Ambush Bugs

 

More: Colorado Insect of Interest: “Ambush Bug”

 

The Spruce: Assassin Bug: Why They are Good the Garden

 

More on predatory insects and spiders in Texas Gardens:  Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center: “Here There Be Dangers

 

 

 I checked on an early blog post where I first wrote about these creatures after discovering them in the garden, only to realize that I wrote my very first blog post August, 19, 2010. Carolyn at “This Grandmother’s Garden.” was my first and only visitor. I joined a group that promoted bloggers and slowly grew a small unique group of faithful followers. 

 

The next post, “Back Yard Bullies” when I wrote about the assassin bug it didn’t get any comments. September posts went without comments, too. The first post in August had two, one who with good intentions, I suppose, recommended how I could get better photos. Thin skinned as I was then, I removed all of my photos from those early post, but the blog slowly took off. I was busy in 2014 where I wrote a record 68 posts but only 5 in 2021 when I just ran out of steam. Some of you have been with me for a very long time and I count you as my friends and look forward to reading your posts every week. Other bloggers have come and gone, and I miss them, but life takes us all on different paths. Blogging can become a chore some weeks. Writing is hard and it’s a challenge to keep the blog fresh and interesting, but it is a good exercise that keeps the brain working. I am trying to maintain a disciplined schedule of posting once a week on Mondays with a fresh new mosaic for Mosaic Monday, which means honing my photographic skills, too. 

 

I’m not quite as disciplined at my second blog, Ann’s Dollhouse Dreams because I don’t always work on the dollhouses; still I have a small circle or wonderful followers who share ideas and tutorials on how to make beautiful miniatures. 

 

I guess my main goal for both of the blogs is to write entertaining and informational posts that make readers smile and brings them a tidbit of new information. 

 

So thank you, dear friends, so sticking with me this long. 



A green bottle fly lies lifeless on the petal of cosmos, its assassin still at the scene of the crime.

Common Green Bottle Fly
Lucilia sericata


Pink Perfection has bloomed steadily since being added to the garden. Her blossoms aren't quite as large as when we brought her home, but next year she will be spectacular. 


The coral bells don't get near enough attention hidden on the outer edge of the north patio garden that has become quite over grown. 

Even when they fade, the hibiscus blossoms have a certain photographic beauty, even with the tiny green fly.



Tiny Green Fly - Amblypsilopus scintillans
bugguide.net


The white cosmos are plentiful this summer, coming up on their own each season. They photograph nicely, too.


The cone flowers didn't do well this year and they are so many in that bed that I'm going to thin them out to make room for some new plants.


I finally found my monarch photo from Summer '21. The Head Gardener saw one flit through the yard this week, but I was downstairs and couldn't get up in time to get a photo. We always just see one as it journeys through the year.





It's hard to find a sunflower without at least one of these awful bugs on it.


There is some hope for the garden because these deadly bugs do have natural predators. Here the Garden Spot's most frequent visitors:


So glad you stopped by. Meet me over at Angie's Letting Go of the Bay Leaf for Mosaic Monday. 





 

9 comments:

  1. We dont seem to get as many bugs as you mentioned, though slugs are our main attackers. Here everyhting is coming to a gentle end now. It has been so dry and most places in UK are on a hosepipe ban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Elizabeth. We've heard how dry it is in England. We certainly can relate. Hopefully your drought will end soon. You know, you have been with me for almost my entire blog life! That's a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann - my Dad was always very anti-pests, so I had to unlearn that here in Montana. Most of my plants are natives, and the aphids are there to feed the birds and the ladybugs, and so on. If I killed the aphids, I would affect the whole ecosystem. I have also found that some "pests", by eating the first flower head of a plant, means that the plant produces three in its place. I could argue that the pest helped the plant ....

    Some weeks, I also find blogging is a chore, and I have thought of giving it up, especially hosting Mosaic Monday. And then I read a post like yours, and how could I stop? I am honored that MM is your goal ...

    You are doing an awesome job with providing information - keep it up! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the first horticultural lessons that I taught my young grandson was the Lady Bugs eat aphids, so there are good predators in the garden, too. Gardeners certainly shouldn't be perfectionists when it comes to. maintaining nature's balance. And we totally appreciate your hosting Mosaic Monday. It gives our blogging purpose, structure, good reading, and friendship. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I love sunflowers and I'm working on a little sunflower junk journal right now. Love seeing your flowers and your dollhouse too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering doing a junk journal. I'm getting prints of flowers and birds and bugs to do a photo album, but I'm think that it will be somewhat of a junk journal--full of sunflowers, too.

      Delete
  5. I agree that there is a purpose to every creature great and small in nature and I found your post very interesting. I was recently having a discussion with my husband as to blogging being a mixed blessing. I love the interaction with others, as I feel I made friends around the world through my blog, yet I feel it is getting more difficult to find subjects and do all the work. I will soldier on as long as I can --I think it is good mental exercise and I know I'd miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a new follower, I am so enjoying visiting and reading about the things that you are doing. I have white cosmos growing in my garden this year but I have had pink ones too, all grown from seed. I love both the flowers and the ferny shape of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a long comment on you blog and I would say Ditto to you because I love reading about your life in the UK. And that you have a dollhouse. We truly must be kindred spirits.

      Delete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...