Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Return to Colorado Farm Country

Sherry and I spent the rest of the afternoon (there wasn't much left) driving down country roads looking for windmills to photograph. We returned home in time to porch sit with neighbors for a while then cook supper for Dave when he got home. Sherry insisted we go back to the farm fields to photograph the windmills at sunset. Come along.


Old, abandoned homesteads dot the Colorado prairie. Left to crumble and fall away, a visitor cannot help but to imagine the hardships that the first settlers must have endured.







Modern technology invades the serenity of the country as farmers across the west and mid-west least ground to windmill companies to place the new energy makers, those giant, white towers that spin catching the wind to create engery. We wonder just how much energy they really do generate.


The sun sinks lower


leaving a golden glow.



The doe watched us as we took pictures. No doubt she saw the flash of the camera. Not quite frightened, but cautious, she slowly walked away.


These are, by the way, working windmills that fill the water tanks for the cattle that graze on the prairie grasses.


I have been playing with using textures to edit my photos. I get wonderful designs for Kim Klassen's Cafe that I have mentioned in previous posts. This is an interesting effect. I call it "Windshield with Bugs."


Sherry decides to go for a cleaner look in her photo.


It is getting darker


and darker.


The sun set on another good day. I had a wonderful time with my dear friends. I thank them for letting me share a bit of their work and their life on my blog for I enjoyed showing you a bit of Colorado Farm Country.

I hope you are having a great week end. Thank you visiting the Garden Spot. 



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I wish those old homesteads could talk and tell us their stories. I hope YOU are enjoying a peaceful August. Now you can treat August like summer again! I start school tomorrow. Pray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Farm Country and windmills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old barns, windmills and country roads and when combined with sunsets, can it get any more beautiful! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These abandoned homesteads and old-fashioned windmills really appeal to my love of American history. I'm with you and Sherry -- serious doubts about how much energy the new windmills actually produce.

    You did a great job with your photos, Ann; thanks so much for sharing!! I hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in AWE of your photos! You caught a deer right next to that old house? How cool is that!! I love old buildings...I always imagine living there. Times were tough...I'm sure! Love the look of the dirt road and the sunflowers. A perfect day for photography! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, fantastic photos:) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE your shots!!!

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...