Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Lighting up Life

Greetings. One would hardly know that we are in Colorado this week, for the weather is mild, sunny, and while not especially warm, dry. And at the moment, no wind. Looking east across the yard and the acreage, the trees and buildings are silhouetted in black against the orange glow of the not yet risen sun.

And so begins the day.

It is so dry here that the ski areas west of Denver are still manufacturing snow, rather than relying on Mother Nature--not deep powder yet. Texas friends and relatives had more snow last week then we have had in in two months. Children awoke to a blank of snow. My great nieces and nephew built a rather respectable snowman, too, complete with his A&M scarf. (Representing Texas A&M University.) So the weather here is hardly frightful, as the song says.

Inside a flurry of activity. The tree is up and the Christmas village is assembled. The tree is pink and gold, as it has been for many years. I use the same decorations year after year, including the pink bows that I tied a few years ago. The tree holds a collection of Victorian era dolls, crystal-like ornaments, and this year I added the beaded garland, which really made the tree look richer and finished. I love the warm glow of the light from the tree, especially at night.

The same with the village. The colorful lights not only light up the house, making it dazzle, but the Christmas lights all over town bring joy.

 I haven't begun baking yet, and will do only a little. Our annual Santa party is this week, so there is plenty this week, so I do need some high sugar treats for the kids. Since the party is right after church, we will have a chili lunch with a vegetable tray and a fruit tray, hoping that the kids will fill up on healthy food before the cookie plate.

This week's mosaic is simple--I seem to be in a rut as all or my mosaics seem to look the same, recently. I need to take some serious photos, but I am not quite done decorating, so I'll have more to share next week.

Along with the pink tree and a much reduced village, I have my bright red poinsettia that my neighbor, Carol, brought me. It is one of the very large ones from the garden center where she works. What a nice surprise when she showed up at the door with this lovely plant.



After using Collegit 3 Pro, I am not particularly happy with it. I find the templates limiting. I much preferred Picasa and was sad to have to finally give it up. Perhaps with more practice with Collegit, I will master it and be able to present more creative mosaics. Nor are photos of very good quality. My iPhone camera doesn't seem to produce the sharp, clear photos that it used to for a couple of possible reasons: I have dropped the phone a couple of times and/or I am not allowing enough time for it to focus. Who knows? I need to better.

Thanks so much for joining me today. I'll be sending this post over to Maggie at Life in Normandy. Join us there.

Have a great week. I will be wearing myself down shopping this week and getting ready for Santa's visit on Sunday. Have great week.




8 comments:

  1. Hello, your tree and village look pretty. The poinsettia is gorgeous. Usually when you have dry warm weather there we have the opposite. We had snow on Saturday and maybe more at the end of this week. I do not like this pattern. I wish I could send our snow. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffft, what about snow..... We don't have snow every winter but just now and then. So now we have snow and a lot of it, the traffic was completely stuck yesterday with more than 450 km traffic jams in the country. We defenitely were not prepared for snow.
    I really like your Christmas village, it must give you much pleasure to put it together in a different way every year. The poinsettia is a beauty too, I actually brought a similar large one to my 96 years old mother this afternoon, is that not funny.
    Wish you lots of pleasure with the preparations for Christmas.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a small Poinsettia...so perfect for the holidays! Love your village and tree too! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - your writing in this post sucked me in - entrancing! The ribbons on the tree are so artistically arranged and the village is quite unique. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see and hear about your festive preparations, the tree and village are beautiful.
    Don't wear yourself out running around making treats for everyone, take time to pamper yourself too this week.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Ann! I hope you have a wonderful time!
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. ♥ What a lovely post, Ann! ♥ Merry Christmas to you and yours! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s okay to bake less and decorate less. Since I cut back, I find that I enjoy the holiday so much more.

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...