Sunday, March 10, 2019

A Frosty Return

I can't believe that it has been so long since I last posted. No. I have fallen off the face of the earth or fallen at all, unlike two of my dear friends who suffered very bad breaks this winter. I have been lucky and I have been keeping myself inside because of the ice and snow. I know. I know. I need to get to out and get fresh air; however, I have fallen victim to ice once before and broke my own ankle. No thanks to a repeat.

We are thawing out quite nicely. March, however, in Colorado is our wettest month and here on the plains we certainly need the moisture. Perhaps if you have been watching the evening national news you will see that our mountains have been besieged with avalanches, with many feet of snow falling in the mountains, but on the plains, we are praying for moisture.

As I searched my photo library to see what I could had for a blog post, well, there just isn't much since the last time. So this what I've got:


The weather lady called the heavy frosting that covered everything frozen fog, and it did change the landscape. I loved photographing what is a rare weather occasion here. Even the cobwebs on the outside stair railing collected frost. The heated bird bath provides much needed water for our feather visitors, the robins and other birds that stay around all winter. Did I mention that Brody finished his training?  He needs a lot more.

The horses seem to take the cold weather in stride, but Pop gets blanketed when the temps dip below 20. He's worn his blanket a lot this winter.



I love this accidental photo of Sundance. It was shot facing the sun, but what I wanted to show was the frost covered plants. Still, it is an interesting photo.


The chain link chicken fence made a very interesting image all frosted up.


The Farr grain elevators long abandoned are always fun to photograph; here their cold steel juxtaposed with the frosted limbs of bare trees.


In the garden, the globe had a thin layer of frozen frost along with obelisk.



 Especially the wrought iron arbor by the water garden looked so pretty frosted.



 I like the old red chair underneath frozen aspen and frosted pines.


And the green chairs--ancient chairs that I have threatened to send tot he dump, but they seem to compliment the landscape. 


The sun shines today as we sprung forward. I was out early this morning surveying the damage that the dog had done to the drip system in the garden beds and searching for the garden art that he had carried away from the front court yard. I found everything and have put all out of his reach--I hope. He's had a lot fun tearing out the hosing, spray nozzles, and garden lights, I say as I am shaking my head.

The Head Gardener will celebrate his 50 year class reunion this summer and has offered our home as for the Friday night hospitality party for the graduates. I thought that it is good idea since next year we will be hosting a wedding here and we will use the reunion  party as a dry run to see what we have to do for the wedding, so there is a lot of work to do to get the yard in shape--show quality--shape. The grand kids have been hinting around (ie pleading) for money-earning projects. Jacob is now 16, wanting a car, and the two older girls have horses. So, yeah, they need money and I need help. 

I'll keep you posted on the plans. Nothing like a party to get inspired to spiff things up.

I have spent most of the winter working on the dollhouses. You can check my progress at annsdollhousedreams.blogspot.com.

Thanks for sticking with me. I'm linking with Angie for Mosaic Monday. See you there. 

Have a great week.

8 comments:

  1. What a good idea to have a heated birdbath, that's something I have never come across!
    Frost makes for beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness everything has that frosted look and it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann - so glad to see you again, and especially with this special post for Mosaic Monday. We get a lot of that freezing fog here, and it sure does make even everyday objects glimmer and sparkle. The shot of the chain-link fence is the stand-out in this group, although I also like the shot of Sundance … hope to see you again soon, with reports on party prep!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fros photos and horses! Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to host the reunion party! You are brave!!! That's a lot of work but I know you'll enjoy it. Love the frosty scenes especially Sundance! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, lovely collection of photos. I love the shot of Sundance. I am sure Brody is a fun pup to have around. The reunion party sounds fun. My son is getting married in October, we are looking forward to the wedding. Happy Monday, have a great day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann, The "frosting" on the garden items is wonderful. Love the obelisk in particular. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely collection of photographs, thanks for sharing them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...