Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mellow Yellow

The celebration has begun. Spring Semester 2012 has ended. The research papers are grades, handed back, the students have gone home, the office is cleaned, the lights are out, the door is locked.  Bring on summer. We don't have much planned. Just hang out in the Garden Spot watching things grow--weeds trees and roses, and tomatoes, and little grandchild. We do have some projects planned, with a water garden at the top of the list. At the old house we had a little 750 gallon pond. Our gold fish are living at the neighbors and it is time to bring them home. So hopefully we will start digging in the next few weeks. Today more planting and we hope to finish the court yard water feature.

While I was confined to the house grading, things were happening in the garden. I did sneak out in the evenings to stretch my legs and to see what was going on:

 Mellow Yellow
There is lots of yellow in the garden this week. The rose is one of the new ones, St. Patrick. She is going to be specular once she settles in. The last of the daffodils are beginning to fade. Love the pale yellow with the painted edge on the cup. And the butterflies have returned. I used my 70-300mm zoom to photograph the butterflies that were swarming the ever invasive oregano


There were dozens of painted ladies that are on on their migration.


The Chamomile attracts this rather bedraggled checkered White (Ponita Potodice)


A Red Admiral feasting on the lilac. 


There wasn't just one red admiral, but dozens joining the honey bees feasting on this blooming tree. We don't know what the tree is, but it was full of blooms this season that the butterflies and bees swarmed it.



The photo session ended with this wonderful rainbow in a rather odd spot, the south eastern sky.

We have a busy day planned. First things first. Today is the Ault Garage Sale Day where residents gather up their junk, pile it on tables, put prices on odd stuff in hopes of cleaning out their basements and garages. What a lot of work. We have participated many a time, but not this year, and hopefully not ever again. Bargain hunters will swarm the little village, coming from far and wide. The Looky Lus begin early cursing the streets, staking out their musts haves and gotta buys. My sister-in-law is participating (poor thing), so I will have to wander over to her house to see what treasures she is parting with. I heard that she is selling a lot of her vintage linens, so I will arrive early, which means that I had better publish the blog and get dressed.

I have neglected my blog and my blog friends, but my work at the university is done and I can get back to my life. Have a fabulous week-end. See you soon.












7 comments:

  1. Some really great photos you've posted. It's nice to see the butterflies. I've noticed more bees than butterflies in the garden so far. I bet your relieved all your grading is done and you can enjoy the good ole outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann! I'm so happy for you! What a GREAT feeling! Your yellows are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, your spring garden is shaping up to be a real beauty. Sounds like you have been too busy to really appreciate it, which is exactly my problem these days. Yet somehow they go on blooming without us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ann -- sounds like you are thoroughly ready to enjoy a break! Watching things grow, including a little grandchild, will be so much fun. Love all the pretty colours around your place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the cheerful spring yellows... and what a beautiful shot with the rainbow! Enjoy your break - I teach at a university too, but we've still got 2 weeks to go. Can't wait to be done grading and get back to full-time gardening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photographs. I hope you have a wonderful break and can relax and enjoy the garden. Shame you aren't coming to the UK, I will continue to post on places we visit so you can be with me that way!!. Take care, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The admiral on the lilac is so dramatic -- Who comes up with these things?? Oh, I know.
    I love your springtime garden! I don't have Admirals or lilacs or Painted Ladies (except for some pole beans by that name) so it is all even more welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...