Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Wishing You Good Cheer, Too

Monday I had started to prepare a post of Mosaic Monday. I had photos on my iPhone that I wanted to use, but that Air Drop feature does not always work, so I cranked up the iMac, hoping to have quicker access to the photos than on the lap top. Too many devices. I have had a problem with malware on the big guy and it can never find the lap top to use Air Drop on the iPhone, so I called Apple. I was on the phone with them for over an hour, but I got rid of the Malware and updated the operating system, using up all of my blogging time.

So here I am today with a short, quick post to let you know that I am still kicking. I have been working on the prairie dresses for the 18 inch dolls. The pattern is very easy, but I am finding that the directions in the book that I am following are somewhat lacking, so it is a good thing that I know a little more about sewing dress patterns to help me past the rough spots.


I have been buying my fabric at the thrift store when I can find the homespuns and the calicoes. The dress takes a 1/3 of a yard; I had this piece in my stash. It is my trial and error version, first time around piece. You will note that as my sister-in-law suggested that I have not added straps with buttons to the apron because  "way back then", instead of buttons the women would pin their aprons. I may make straps for the next apron.








The bonnet was a bit challenging. I have made this type of bonnet before, and I like this pattern, too, but I need to be more patient. 

I will give this little dress outfit to my sister-in-law since purple is her favorite color. I have another dress finished, and I am working on three more. I cute out 4 at a time and do an assembly line. I stitch all of the hems on the skirts and put in all of the gathering stitches for the skirt and sleeves. Next I will assemble all of the tops and then make the sleeves. Once the dresses are done, I have the aprons and bloomers cut out ready to stitch. I know that when I take this to the next DAR meeting women will want dresses. I haven't not set out to sell them, so I will tell the ladies to provide the material that they want and I will sew the outfits.

I will tire of sewing soon. I will clean up my sewing mess and make paper Valentines. I will also get back to work on the Texas farmhouse dollhouse that I started last fall. There is so much work to do it. And soon it will be time to garden. 

Thanks for visiting. I must get on with my day. I am tutoring at the university today then I'll get groceries so I my day is planned out. 

Can I take a moment and really thank you for being a kind and gentle audience and friend?  Here in Blog Land I have such a wonderful, eclectic group who all lift my spirits, helping me stay cheerful and happy. I hope that I do the same for you. Enjoy your day.



12 comments:

  1. Hello Ann, the outfit and bonnet are so cute. You did a wonderful job sewing this dress. Did you have malware on your iphone, I worry about that on mine? Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the white hat and have a soft cloth doll wearing one just like it. The whole outfit is adorable and you're a talented seamstress Ann. I've made a few VD cards to take to Florida with me and can't wait for the gardening season either.
    I cherish you as a blogging sister and enjoy the posts and conversations we share. Off to dinner tonight with members of my garden club, a noisy group of women we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! How cute is THAT!!! And you always lift my spirits with your blog and I love your doll fun. I've wanted to do some little prairie dresses with the white aprons. And the bonnet adds so much. You've really made something sweet my friend. Have FUN! (I'll be right over with my dollies so that we can play dolls together!) Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prairie dress is precious, Ann, (as is the doll). I envy anyone who can sew as I couldn't even figure out how to thread a machine. I do love hand sewing and embroidery. To just find the time to do it.

    Sounds like you are keeping busy. I hope to get over this dental stuff soon, I get the stitches out tomorrow. Then I want to get back into my cleaning out drawers and closets and finding time to relax.

    I truly appreciate the friendships I've made over the last 8 or 9 years I've been blogging. I used to post about every 4 days or so. I got little else done, that's for sure!!

    Take care,

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing skills are outstanding! The dress looks pristine. The little white collar pops on the purple. It's beautiful.
    Can't wait for you to return to your dollhouse.
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet dress, apron and bonnet for your doll. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very beautiful, Ann... and just like in the "Little House on the Prairie". :) Oh, how I would have liked to live in times when women wore such bonnets! (But I do love this time too especially because of the health care we can have now. The life must have been very hard in the past if you got ill.)
    Are those orange scissors made by Fiskars? They remind very much our beloved Finnish scissors. :)
    Thank you for your comment! I'd love to have an American Valentine stamp. But I will send you flower stamps because our this year's Valentine stamps have blue (!) hearts. Unless you like blue hearts, of course...
    Let me know your address through email. Happy weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, doesn't she look so sweet in her pretty dress and bonnet? What a smashing project to have to work on whilst the weather is so dreary and you can't get out into the garden. I read your comment on this week's MM post and I agree that finding something to blog about at this time of year can be difficult which is partly why I'm taking part in the Winter Snap Challenge. Linda @ The View From Squirrel Ridge has an interesting set of prompts for MM I think, if you haven't visited her here's a link you mght find interesting.
    https://webcroft.blogspot.fr/2017/01/late-january-random-osity.html?showComment=1485876614590#c4126489393370680067

    I thought I might try out this idea myself for MM next week, who knows what I'll come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from Eastern Finland where we will have snow for at least two more months! :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel like I have interest in more hobbies than most women, but you have me beat by a mile! I used to sew a lot, haven't gotten back to it in a number of years though. One of my biggest accomplishments was making clothes for my daughter's American Girl dolls, from the original patterns furnished by the company, and long before there were any other patterns out there for these 18 inch dolls. Those patterns would have challenged anyone in full size, but to make them in miniature was challenging indeed. One of my proudest sewing moments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You dressed up the doll so beautifully.. sewing those little dresses is a difficult task.. you did an amazing job...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet this little doll and outfit is. She looks so beautiful. I love the style Ann. It's so hard to sew tiny things isn't it



    Awwwh your doll looks so sweet in the new outfit. You are very talented making it so well. Happy sewing
    jeanette ann



    ReplyDelete

Back in the Swing of Things

 Well, hello friends. My only post for the year was in March when I declared, "I'm Back." I really didn't go any place; I ...